Cancelling your lease
If you are going to move house, you must always cancel your lease in writing using the lease cancellation form. You can find this form on our website. Once we have received this from you, we will send you confirmation of receipt. You can cancel your lease with effect from any date in the month, except on weekends or holidays. Be aware that you must cancel with at least one month's notice.
Once we have received your notice of cancellation, you will receive a letter of termination of your lease from us. This letter will specify the date and time of the final inspection. During the final inspection, one of our staff will walk through your vacated unit with you and check whether you are leaving the unit in the condition stated on the checklist. The meter readings will also be noted. If the new tenant is known, he or she will also be present during the final inspection. It is essential that you yourself are present during the final inspection. If any items are to be passed on to the new tenant, this will be arranged at this point. At the end of the final inspection, you must return your keys.
Please note: you are not permitted to give the keys to the new tenant yourself!
We will look for a new tenant. If the new tenant is already known, you can discuss with him/her if there are any of your own items in the property that he or she could take over/buy from you. You must arrange such matters with the new tenant yourself and record these in writing on a take-over purchase agreement. You should give this take-over purchase agreement to the inspector during the final inspection. The agreement is something between you and the new tenant, and you must both sign it.
You will receive the final statement from us within one month following the termination of the tenancy contract. This statement will list any outstanding balances and amounts owed to you, which will then be settled. You will receive the complete final statement of accounts, including matters such as service costs, in the following year. This is why you should always make sure to give us your new address, so that we can contact you after you have moved.
- Don’t forget to pass on your new address to the municipal council. Complete the form 'aangifte verhuizing/vertrek' (notice of moving to new address/departure from municipality) and hand it in to the 'Burgerzaken' (Population Affairs) department of the Municipal Council of Maastricht.
- You can arrange change of address notifications conveniently through the post office. There, you can pick up and fill in a form requesting your mail to be forwarded to your new address for a certain period of time.
Checklist: what to do before vacating the property
It is in your own interests to leave the property in the condition described in this checklist. If you do not carry out the tasks mentioned yourself, we will have to arrange for them to be done at your expense, with any costs incurred being applied to your balance.
- Paintwork and wallpaper, bathroom and sanitary fittings, door and window hardware, tiling and glazing should be left in good condition.
- Remove nails, screws, hooks, screw plugs, and other wall coverings/features from window/door frames, floors, walls, and ceilings and fill any drilled holes neatly and appropriately.
- You should also remove curtain rails, washing lines, shelves, and all other items that are not officially part of the property (unless the new tenant has agreed to take them).
- Remove floor coverings (carpets/parquet), linoleum, and floor tiles on all floors (unless the new tenant has agreed to take them). Ensure that floors are clean and free of glue and carpet remains. Repair the floor if necessary.
- Remove all additional light fittings, wall sockets, switches, etc. not installed in accordance with the regulations and ensure that the wall sockets and light switches present are in good condition.
- Leave the property (room, studio, flat, etc.) in a complete and clean state; this also applies to the private or communal toilet and the private or communal bathroom in the studio or student room.
- Leave the storeroom/storage cupboard belonging to the property and the general/communal spaces in a clean and empty state.